The majority of older adults cannot shower with an overhead shower due to their physical strength and the high installation of the showerhead. Some elders, especially those with arthritis or mobility issues, may need a showerhead to use while seated. So, getting a handheld showerhead with a hose is the best choice you could ever make for senior people.
Some models are crafted to accommodate such people and even kids. So, if you want to learn about the best handheld showerheads for the elderly, this article suits you. We will provide a review of the top best showerheads for elders and how to choose them.
What Are the Best Handheld Shower Heads for the Elderly?
Why Do You Need the Best Handheld Shower Head for the Elderly?
Convenient water flow
With a handheld showerhead, the older person can control water flow by positioning it to the right flow directions as needed, unlike with the overhead models.
Easy to control
The majority of these showerheads are made with control switches essential for controlling the water flow and the pressure. Some elders prefer massage water flow, while others prefer rainwater flow. So, having a switch located at an easy to access place makes the control process easy.
Best Handheld Shower Head for Elderly Reviews
1. Best For Seniors – YOO.MEE ADA Handheld Shower Head with Large Silicone Switching
- This showerhead has an ergonomic handle
- Has large adjustment switch
- You can easily alter the pressure of water flow
- The showerhead is great for people with arthritis
- This showerhead does not come with an attachment; you have to buy it separately.
Specifically designed for disassembled people and elderly individuals, this showerhead has a great and comfortable feature that suit such people. The showerhead is designed with a large silicone switch essential for adjusting the water flow hustle free. It also has the pause button to stop the water flow between the bathing times, especially when lathering.
The handle of this handheld showerhead has a wrapping all around to provide a good grip, especially for people with arthritis. If the pipes have high-pressure water flow, this showerhead has a soft water flow setting so you can set up the most comfortable water flow.
2. Best Affordable – AquaDance High Pressure 6-Setting 3.5″ Chrome Face Handheld Shower Head
- This showerhead has quality materials construction
- Has overhead and handheld showerhead
- The installation process is easy and quick
- The showerhead is adjustable in installation angle
- The hose measures 60 inches long and may not fit some people who prefer showering while seated.
Having been checked countless times regarding its functioning, this showerhead is perfect for homes with senior people. The showerhead has two shower heads, including an overhead model plus the handheld model with a hose. The overhead shower is adjustable in angle to make sure you position the showerhead to the most comfortable angle to use it.
The handheld showerhead’s hose is quite long to make sure your older parent is comfortable to shower with it.
3. Best Long Lasting – HotelSpa 7-setting AquaCare Series Shower Head
- Has pause switch to control water flow
- Has durable stainless steel materials
- Comes with seven water flow settings
- The showerhead comes with a warranty
- The water pause switch does not entirely control water flow
One feature that qualifies this as a reliable showerhead for older adults in the seven water flow settings. So, the elderly people or people with an injury can adjust or regulate the water flow to their preference. This showerhead also features the pause switch so you can take your time when showering by regulating water flow.
This showerhead is adjustable in an angle so that you can set it in the right direction for good water flow. The stainless steel material construction of the unit guarantees durability and convenience in use. In addition, this showerhead comes with a wall attachment for holding the hose
4. Best with Pause Setting – HOMELODY High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
- The showerhead has five shower settings
- Installation is easy with no tools
- The showerhead does not automatically regulate temperatures for safety
- The unit is durable
- This showerhead does not come with a hose. You have to buy it separately.
I recommend this showerhead for elderly people since even when you stop the valve, it does not adjust the water temperatures. So, he or she can comfortably shower with it even when you are not around. The handheld shower has five water flow settings ranging from massage, mist, and rain, so you can choose the most comfortable water flow to use.
Although it has the ABS material construction, the showerhead is quite durable and has a nickel finish that gives it a beautiful look.
5. Best Multi-functional – Moen DN8001CH Home Care Handheld Shower with Pause Control
- Installation is done tool-free
- The showerhead has quality material construction
- Has a pause button that is easy to press
- The showerhead has on and off button
- The hose is quite stiff
Although this handheld showerhead may cost more than similar brands, it is quite reliable, mainly for older adults. The showerhead has the pause button essential for controlling water flow. So you can efficiently carry out two activities consecutively like washing hair or lathering body without the water flowing in between.
This showerhead is compatible with multiple Moen bathroom accessories such as a bathtub, so you can use it from wherever you are comfortable. The showerhead has quality material constructions which are backed up with a lifetime warranty.
6. Best Easy Cleaning – Delta Faucet 7-Spray Touch-Clean Hand Held Shower
- This showerhead has a long hose
- Has a durable material with a beautiful shiny finish
- Has multiple spray water flow settings
- The showerhead is affordable
- Take some time on installation
This round shaped showerhead provides great massage water flow to ensure one has a relaxing bath every time you use it. It is recommendable for older adults since the shower flow helps to relax their body muscles. The showerhead has a long hose such that one can take a bath while standing or seated.
The quality materials construction of the showerhead guarantees the durability and efficiency of the showerhead. It has seven spray settings to choose from for better and comfortable showering sessions.
7. Best with Sliding – Hansgrohe Croma Sliding Height Rain Shower Head For Elderly
- Cleaning the nozzles of this showerhead is quite easy
- Has quality plastic materials with heat insulation mechanism
- The showerhead has both rust and corrosion resistant settings
- The installation of this showerhead is not easy
This dual showerhead model features both overhead and handheld shower pieces to accommodate different users. This shower head is suitable for seniors since the hose is long to provide a comfortable showering angle for all people. One can also shower while seated since the showerhead hose is super long.
The showerhead adjusts in the right and left to make sure the user has a comfortable showering angle. On top of that, it has multiple shower settings ranging from the spray, mist massage, among others.
8. Best with Handheld Combo – Ana Bath 5-Inch Anti-Clog High-Pressure Dual Shower Head For Elderly
- Installing this showerhead is quite easy
- Has dual showerheads for ample water flow
- Has a long hose for comfort when holding to shower
- The showerhead has five spray water flow settings
- This showerhead is a bit expensive
The five unique spray modes on the showerhead ensure you have comfortable water flow to suit you. This also makes it easy for senior people to select the most comfortable water flow they need. The entire unit is made of stainless steel material construction that is resistant to rust and corrosion for durability.
The showerhead’s nozzles have anti-clog materials that make cleaning easy, so you can get the right water flow throughout. The five feet long hose provides a comfortable bathing space so you can either use it while seated or standing.
9. Best For Spa – ShowerMaxx 6 Spray Settings Shower Head
- Comes with a long stainless steel hose
- It has a heat resistant material construction
- Has anti-clogging nozzles
- This is a water-efficient showerhead that automatically controls water flow
- The showerhead attachment is quite small
Although this showerhead is made of ABS materials, it has heat treatment to secure it from heat damage even after prolonged use. It has a chrome finishing that gives the entire unit a shiny look to match other fixtures in the bathroom. Another feature that stands out on this showerhead is the flow restriction mode to control water flow.
The showerhead has anti-clog nozzles with a mesh to keep off dirt and other debris from flowing when showering. But, note that cleaning this showerhead is easy
10. Best Powerful – Delta Faucet 7-Spray Hand Held Shower Head with Chrome
- The hose is long to ensure comfort
- The water flow features seven spray settings
- Cleaning it is easy and quick
- Has a beautiful polish finish
- The hose feels a bit flimsy
This showerhead has seven spray settings that are quite easy to choose, depending on the user. This makes it a safe and comfortable showerhead for both kids and elders. The showerhead’s hose is stretching to a length of up to 72 inches such that you can shower from different angles or even while seated. The nozzles are made of touch clean spray holes for smooth wiping off calcium to prevent blocking.
11. Best with Rain Shower Combo – Hydroluxe 1433 Handheld Showerhead For Elderly with Long Hose
- The showerhead is affordable
- Is flexible to use from different angles
- You can use both showerheads at once
- The hose is made of durable stainless steel materials
- Plastic materials
The water flow on this showerhead features five flow settings: massage, rain, water-saving economy ideal for elderly people, among others. It features a handheld and overhead shower that you can divert and use in three different options. The hose of this showerhead is quite flexible, so you can move and use it from different angles. The unique craft of materials plus nickel finishing is durable, although it comes with a 10-year warranty for quality assurance.
How to Choose the Best Handheld Shower Head for Elderly?
The size of the hose
The handheld showerheads are made with different hose sizes. However, it is always good to choose a showerhead with a long hose to ensure flexibility so that they can use it from any location. Also, long hoses are convenient since the older adult can use them while seated.
Control button location
Are the switch and on/off buttons fitted in a place that is easy to reach and access? For convenience control of the showerhead when you are not around, choose a showerhead made with easy access buttons. For example, the pause button should be near the showerhead for easy grasp.
The water flow settings
Always choose a showerhead that has multiple water flow and pressure settings so people can choose their preference. Some elders may prefer low-pressure flow, while others may be able to shower with high-pressure showerheads.
A showerhead that is flexible and easy to use comes in handy for elders. A showerhead that an older adult can use without your aid is a good choice to promote independence.
How to Use a Handheld Showerhead Safely for the Elderly?
- Install it close to a bathtub or a chair
- Always install the handheld showerhead near a place that the senior person will be comfortable to use it. If they cannot stand for long, install it close to a bathtub or have chair stead by so they can use it when need be.
- Adjust the temperatures while directing the showerhead away before they point to their body.
- Teach them how to use the pause button for convenience when lathering the body and prevent soap from getting to their eyes, trying to control water flow while applying soap to the body.
- Mount the showerhead at a convenient height that the older adults can comfortably reach while seated or standing.
How to Install a Handheld Showerhead for the Elderly?
- First, test if the showerhead is compatible with the shower arm in your bathroom.
- Then follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the showerhead to the shower arm.
- If possible, install the showerhead attachment at the lowest area for easy reach by the older adult.
- Test if the showerhead is functioning before you leave. Also, test the available control buttons like pause, stop, and the flow regulation buttons are functional.
If you need a handheld showerhead that even older people can comfortably use in your house, these are the top 11 best models to consider getting. They have adjustable water spray flow and are equipped with long hoses for convenient reach when showering. So, find the right handheld showerhead from these reviews, depending on the older adults’ age and physical conditions in your home.